Monday, May 25, 2009

Green spends the same

It's that time of year again when young people look for the annual summer job.
Many kids have found it more difficult this year since ,either there are not as many positions available or they have been snatched up by adults who have held a position of the like for the last 20 years. This is our economy. Survival of the fittest and fastest.
What the teens have failed to realize this year is that there is more competition for less positions. We adults seem to be aware of this secret that has escaped our youth.

I discovered this as I have suggested(o.k. badgered) my teens to start applying for a summer job. Mom and Dad are not their go to piggy bank. Also, the eldest is driving and we have told her that this is a privilege and not a right. When school is out, she needs to start contributing to gas and insurance.

For the past 6 weeks I have suggested(yes, still badgering) that they start applying only to have them tell me that they were too busy. They would get on it right after track season was done. I did indicate that this would probably be too late.
Well, track season ended on Friday. The girls got up(actually I had to wake them at 10:00am on Saturday morning) to go out and apply for their jobs.

My husband and I had to run errands and off we went. Two hours later we returned and shockingly our daughters were also here. When I asked if they looked for jobs, they both replied with smiling faces, "yes, two each"! I was stunned. I'm not sure if my mouth hanging open was the reason the younger of the two instantly asked "what's wrong Mom?"

When I asked where they had applied, the oldest gave me a clothing store(ya know it's very cool and you get a discount)and a coffee shop. The younger applied to a sandwich shop and a local veterinarian. So I ventured on. Did they have a job opening or were they just taking applications I asked? They had huge stacks of applications Mom, see how popular they are? Everyone wants to work there. They said they would call if something comes up!
What happened to the grocery store, the drug store, the car wash, McDonald's???
In unison they replied, " We can't work there, that's where the creepy kids work".

Shocked, I responded "Did you you know that all of those places had help wanted signs? The "creepy" kids are laughing all the way to the bank. Did you also know that the employers all pay with the same green money. It doesn't matter if you are creepy or not. Also, the gas tank, the movie theatre and the local eatery do not care where you earned your money. Green spends the same."

No comments:

Post a Comment